Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Goodbye, Maisie



When Will first got all his allergy testing done, dog showed up on the list, but we figured that since schnauzers were "hypo-allergenic," we were safe. As it turns out, there's no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog, and after seeing William break out into hives when mauled by a schnauzer puppy, I knew we had to at least find Maisie a temporary home to see if he improved.

He did improve those three months she was gone, but we were trying so many different things and I was even stricter with my diet than before, that I thought that maybe Maisie wasn't part of the problem after all, so back she came. And back came William's scratching.

A couple weeks ago, I made the decision that even though it was difficult, Maisie would have to go for good. So goodbye, Maisie Girl. I want you to know you've been a good dog, and this isn't your fault. I know Jay will be super good to you (even though he makes you fat and he doesn't clean the goop out of your eyes like I do). He'll be able to do so much more for you like take you on two walks a day and take you for trips in the car, which I won't do, because I don't want you on my upholstery. And you'll be good for him too, because he's sick and all alone. And I'm not. I've got this house full of kids and a husband to take care of, and at the end of the day my life is pretty full.

I want you to know I'll never forget bringing you home from the shelter, and feeling that you were so happy to have a home. I feel good about that, even though we weren't your forever family like we planned on. So take care, Mais. Know that I love you, and I'll miss you.

2 comments:

Amie said...

While sad to give up, it sounds like you found a great home for Maisie!

Hiedi said...

Well, I'm really glad you've solved a piece of the puzzle with Will.